Friday, March 28, 2014

RANT: My TOP 10 Overrated Makeup Products!!

Hi Guys!!

How is everyone doing!! So today i will be doing a different kind of post.. I always review products and rave about them but there are some that i feel receive more props than they do deserve. All over the beauty community i see a lot of products getting the most hype and not delivering as much as they are expected to.

I must confess i have done this too.I might like a product and later change my mind when i see it has dissapointed me once or twice after declaring my love for it. I have also fallen victim to this. I have purchased a product just because someone said they absolutely loved it and it did not work for me at all.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not to run any product down because i do have some of these products listed here and will continue using them.. I am not saying they are BAD or WACK.This post is just my opinion about some products that are good but not as great as people say they are.. I am aware of the fact that people have different skin tones and types that make products work for some while others not so much.


So here goes..

* PUTS ON MY BULLET PROOF VEST FOR ALL THE MAKEUP LOVERS OOO*


BEN NYE BANANA POWDER: Yes Yes Yes!! I get it.. Kim Kardashian  uses it. Its great for highlighting and contouring. It is Holy grail..Its great for setting under eye concealer. It is lightweight. It is amazing, fantastic, *YAWWWWWWWWN* This magic dust has failed me several times. The first time i used it i think it was during the harmattan period and my makeup looked great. I did notice that it got patchy around my forehead but i said oh well i guess i put too much or i didn't blend out my concealer properly. I tried this powder again and went out only to look at my face and it started to CRACK.... My face was seriously patchy i couldn't wait to run home and wash d sordidness off. I tried it out last week Saturday to a wedding and i must confess it was quite hot.. Before i left my house i noticed the patchiness again. I said let me try and solve this so i sprayed some Skindinavia finishing spray.. Oh geeeez worst mistake ever. My whole makeup was messed up. I had to wash my face and start all over again. The anger and annoyance i felt... I know this product works for a lot of people, but not ME honey!!






MAC FIX PLUS: I have tried this a couple of times. I do not own my own bottle and i might purchase this just for the refreshing feeling it gives to the face before applying makeup. But not after!!  I have very oily skin and i do not think this is a makeup setting spray. It is for refreshing your face but it will not keep you matte and shine free as i have read on some blogs. People swear how it keeps their faces shine free and matte but i dont think some refreshing water will hold layers of foundation by some miracle. I wanted to purchase this at the MAC store in Dubai and the lady told me" If you have oily skin don't buy this you don't need it"... I do like it before makeup but its over rated to me.






MAC BLACK TRACK FLUID LINE: This eyeliner is fair. I have it and stopped using it after it dried up on me. I mean rock hard drying. There are tons of drugstore gel liners that beat this HANDS DOWN in the pigmentation department. I purchased it after all the hype but this was quite disappointing for the price. Wet and Wild's gel liner will hook you up good. L' oreal's gel liner is amazing too.






YSL TOUCH ECLAT: Does any reaaallllly know what this thing is for?? I mean i know we all know but does nay one really care to use it as opposed to doing the concealer method instead. OK fine its a highlighter pen but i believe people where sold by the fanciness of the brand and the name. This product is too expensive and there are tons of cheaper products that will "wake up your face" like this. I hear there is a Maybelline Highlighter pen just as good as this for less than half the price.



SLEEK CONTOUR KIT: I like this. I also like its versatility. The dark color can be used in your crease and the light color can be used as a brow highlight. I tried to love it but the contour color was just too ashy and muddy on me. I am NC45 skin tone and i did use the Medium color but i didn't like it at all. It works great for a lot of people but not me.




MAC BRUSHES: The UNDUPABLES!!! Lol... I know MAC has a strong cult following that will buy anything they make down to a sharpener. But these brushes are highly over rated and over priced and i can get the same effect with makeup brushes like sigma, sedona lace or bdellium brushes. The 217 and 224 brushes are a fave for a lot of beauty bloggers and makeup artistes but they can be easily duped too.




REAL TECHNIQUES STIPPLING BRUSH: After hearing about this brand i wanted to try out of the brushes because my brush game was seriously slacking. I always wanted a great stippling brush for foundation but this brush did not live up to expectations. Firstly the bristles  get dirty easily and i have to wash them a lot if i want a smooth application of foundation. It leave my face looking super streaky!! I always have to use the expect face brush after i use this so i never use it again.




URBAN DECAY NAKED PALETTES: The queens of queens eye shadow palettes. Many have fantasized prayed wished for them. I even featured this in my wishlist for 2013. I was caught up in the hype. I do not own Naked 1 &2 but i have gotten the chance to play with them and at first glance i was like.. "Whats all the fuss about".. A ton of the colors in there i probably have in other makeup palettes so whats the big deal. Dont get me wrong i have the Naked 3 and i really like it. I use it and i can create a ton of looks but its not worth all the hype and praises it gets. It does have a little fall out with some colors nothing crazy but *sigh* OVERRATED!!!




NARS BLUSHES: This is another one right here that just baffles me.. People swear by the pigmentation. I think they are really just caught up by the popularity. Orgasm, Superorgasm, Taj Mahal, Deep throat, Albatross!!! *rolls eyes*They are pretty but very very dupable!! NYX has proper dupes of these.. Sleek Blushes knock these out the park !!I saw them instore and i thought they were pretty but i could think of a nuber of dupes for them right there. They are beautiful and if i had a ton of extra money to spend i might buy maybe ONE.. but not now...




URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTIONS: I have these and i like them. I also got little samples when i purchased my NAKED 3 palette. But i think there are other great eye shadow primers for cheap.  NYX HD primers and ELF's primer works just as great!! 

So thats it. I know some people will agree with me and some battle me out. LOL.I really enjoyed drafting this post. I think il do an Underated product post next.


Does anyone have any products or know of any products that are over rated to them too? I would love to know.

Thanks for Stopping by!!

17 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm sadly I don't agree with u on most of these things. First of all banana powder shd be applied lightly. You are probably applying it the wrong way. Secondly sleek contour kit is everything! How dare u not like it. Macs brushes are dope too, so is urban decay primer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmaoo@ how dare you not like it! I dunno dear it just doesnt "ring MY bell" I guess my skin doesnt really take all kinds of products the way it does some others. I know mac brushes are great. I have a couple but there are others as good too. lol thanks for commenting

      Delete
    2. The stippling brush!!!! OMG!! Thank u! Wayyyyyyyyyy too over rated! Ahann! Rme! But d sleek kit, mac fix n banana powder tho....love em!Great blog btw.
      Xo

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on most....urban decay naked palettes especially . The banana powder is horrible when applied on any skin it doesn't work for,that RT stipple brush? Mschew! Seriously over rated. I do like the sleek contour kit though,intact I find it amazing. Like you said,MAC brushes are nice but my bdellium and sigma brush sets serve me well too. Again, please NARS blushes are amazing...i love 'em. All in all, great post dear! I'm va first timer here but I like what I see. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, I loved this post! That real techniques stippling brush is absolutely horrid! I use it to apply blush (powder) now that streaky foundation biz is not for me. I have a Ben nye powder (olive sand) and I think I've used it just twice! Lol that fluidline I used it this morning and I thought what nonsense is this. I love my 'taj mahal' sha but I get you on the blushes being dupeable. Ok this is getting too long lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. About the real tech stippling brush...lol...thnk God I came across ur blog...its stressing d shiit outta me n I wuz thinking it wuz ME doing things wrong o...prolly not washing em wif d right shampoo n all...THANK YOU OOO....dat one major OVERRRRR RATED ish ryt there!!!!! but den d sleek kit n mac fix plus spray....loveeeeeeeit.....loveeee emm!.review em again baby gurl!..but thnk u!wuld nt waste money on d mac liner it's kuku expensive...d banana powder is very ok too sha. O well...love ur blog still
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the sleek contour kit. I was looking for it every where and now that I have it I'm just tired. It just looks funny sometimes. Was thinking about getting mac fix +, I would have just wasted my money.... thank you o.
    www.lapesbeautifulcreature.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello dear, I really love your blog. I wanted to know if you would recommend good and affordable foundations and powders for people with oily face. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true about these brands expect my banana powder..o lagbara gaan..I only use it for photoshoots sha..Black Up is another lie lie brand..all hype..doesn't deliver..yes o..this brand sef dey crack and them talk say na water based..wetin dey crack am..ocean water?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. No.7 primer from boots..all of them..too oily..l

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I love this post so much I have to do my own version!! That YSL touché éclat is the biggest joke known to (black) woman -_-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. I really like this post and I agree with you on most of the items. I have both banana and topaz and Topaz does a whole lot better job for me than banana. It doesn't need that much work as banana but I must say banana is also good as long as it is applied with a light hand and the excess dusted off (too much work, you see?). But girl, the Real techniques stippling brush is much better than I thought it would be. I think it's short bristles make it easier to handle. I have tried it on both cream and liquid foundations and think it work really well, though it amazingly did better with the cream foundation...whew. Feel like I just wrote an epistle (well, I did but then...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so agree with you on Blacktrack. I got it in one of the holiday sets and i'm like ????? abeg. I have to disagree with you on the Touche Eclat though. It works wonders for me. I use it under my eyes as an under eye concealer and subtle highlight and set it with Ben Nye Topaz powder. That thing is a miracle worker for me oh. banishes dem dark circles real quick.

    For MAC brushes, i find that they do have some good eye brushes, they are an epic FAIL on face brushes, plus it depends on where they are made (Some are made in CHina, some in Japan and some in France, so it's luck of the draw)

    As for the Urban Decay primer potion, that thing does not work. I find that Too Faced Shadow insurance is the beez kneez, been using it for voer 4 years. oh and MAC Paint Pots are great too. NARS blushes are nice ooooo. They are VERY fine. i LOVE Taj Mahal and Albatross biko.

    Anyway enough of my rambling, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good blog with useful information. Synthetic bristles are ultra plush and smoother than the hair you'll find in other brushes. Since our bristles are synthetic, it's
    100% cruelty-free. The soft fibers help create a flawless, high-definition finish in any type of light from sunlight to harsh indoor lighting. Bristles are less prone to breakage or damage as well as keep clean and maintain Uniquely shaped and color coded aluminum ferrule. Find here Real Techniques Brushes In Dubai | Buy Makeup Brushes Online

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quality of your blogs and conjointly the articles and price appreciating.orogold

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mac fix plus is best product for oily skin,I do like it before makeup but its over rated to me thanks for shearing this.
    Buy Hugo Perfumes in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can someone please do a piece or a video on urban decay individuals. Those tiny pots of beautiful colour that unfortunately have very little colour pay out for what you pay for. I did swatches on my arm with a brush and the colours (Woodstock and zodiac) barely showed up. Seriously not impressed

    ReplyDelete